S.T.A.R. Stand Together! Act Responsibly!
Help break the mindset of "snitching" !!!
Change Attitudes -- Teach Responsibility -- Promote Accountability
Making good decisions and being reliable can help keep children safe!
Kids: Are you aware of something going on that is wrong? Illegal? Unsafe? Then you need to be a Responsible Reporter and let an adult know about it. Break that "Code of Silence" that may cause harm to someone or that hampers investigations.
It is NOT wrong to report information that may help prevent an injury or a crime!
It is NOT wrong to report information that holds someone accountable for his or her actions!
It is NOT snitching! It is NOT tattling! It is NOT being a stoolie or rat!
It IS being a Responsible Reporter!
Our mascot says: "I'm a Sensing, Thinking, Acting, Responsible Kid!"
How can you be a S.T.A.R? Follow these steps:
- Sense what is going on around you. Pay attention to what you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch. Is it potentially unsafe? Illegal? Wrong?
- Think about it. Could [or did] someone get hurt? Should an adult know about it?
- Act! There are several ways to act and report the situation.
- Be Responsible. What you do or do not do may keep someone safe or may cause harm or injury. Act responsibly!
The elementary curriculum introduces 6 new characters:
- Ima S.T.A.R.
- Sensing Sam
- Thinking Theo
- Action Annie
- Responsible Rob and Reckless Rose
Through interactive lessons (puppetry, role-play, games and more) kids learn how to be a S.T.A.R.
The Elementary Curriculum includes:
- 5 lessons for Kindergarten and Grade 1
- 3 lessons for Grades 2-5
- 6 puppets
- reinforcement activities
- DVD of scenarios
The Middle Curriculum includes:
- 3 lessons for each grade (6-8)
- active lessons
- DVD of scenarios
The S.T.A.R. curriculum is currently part of a research project by Safety Kids, Inc. and supervised by Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA. We are looking for a new home for the S.T.A.R. project. Contact us if you would like to take over this work and offer it to others.
TOTAL S.T.A.R. Project
The TOTAL 5-Points S.T.A.R. Project is a comprehensive approach to reducing violence, bullying, and other incidents that are unsafe, illegal, or wrong.